In recognition of the continuing impact of the pandemic on the sector, we have agreed with Welsh Government to delay submission of the Annual Returns to 31 October 2022.
The 2016 Act requires registered service providers to submit an Annual Return following the end of each financial year.
Registered service providers are required to submit an Annual Return for each of the previous financial years in which they were registered, in addition to the Annual Return due for this current financial year (2021-22). Therefore, depending on the service provider’s year of registration, an Annual Return will also be required to be submitted (by 31 October) for each of the periods 2018-19, 2019-20 and 2020-21.
The Annual Returns must be submitted by service providers who operate any of the following:
- Care home services
- Domiciliary services
- Secure accommodation services
- Residential family centre services
- Regulated fostering services
- Regulated adoption services
- Regulated advocacy services
- Adult placement services
The following types of service do not need to submit any Annual Returns:
- Local authority fostering services
- Local authority adoption services
- Residential special schools
- Further education colleges
- Boarding schools
Regulations have been brought forward to limit the information required for Annual Returns due for submission this year. The information contained within the annual returns has been limited to what is set out within the Regulation and Inspection of Social Care (Wales) Act 2016.
- The Annual Return system will be accessible via your CIW Online account from 1 August.
- Only the RI or organisational officer with the necessary access can complete and submit the Annual Return. Please check all designated RIs, or organisational officers, have access to their CIW Online account and have activated their account to Level 2 access
- To ensure your Annual Returns are submitted on time please log in to your CIW Online account before the 1 August to ensure your service details are accurate and up to date