Skip to main content
Global keyword search

Register a Childcare and Play Service

Information and guidance to help you register a service.

Who needs to register?

  • Day care and play services:
    • full day care, including day nurseries
    • out of school care
    • sessional day care, such as playgroups
    • crèches
    • open access provision
  • Childminders

For further details about who needs to register and the registration process you should read the Registration Guidance.

How to register

To register a service with us you must complete and submit an application to register using CIW Online (External link).

You are required to have a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate as part of this process. Without a DBS certificate, you will not be able to submit your Childcare and Play application. If you don’t have a DBS - you can find out more information about how to apply for a DBS check on the DBS section of our website.

Before you apply

Before you start the registration process you should follow the steps below:

Day care and play services:



The full list of units / qualifications you must have as part of your application to register is available on the Social Care Wales website (External link) or Play Wales (External link)

Tax-free childcare

Top things you should know from His Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) about Tax-free childcare. (External link)

Statement of Purpose

The Statement of Purpose template and Guidance attached below is available to assist you when writing your Statement of Purpose. If you use an alternative format, it must be compliant with the Child Minding and Day Care (Wales) Regulations 2010 and as a minimum include information about all points under National Minimum Standard 1.2 of the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare 2010.